As the Swiss Government's centre of competence for international cooperation, SDC is responsible for development cooperation with the South and East, multilateral cooperation as well as for Switzerland's humanitarian aid.
- Humanitarian aid: saving lives and alleviating suffering: Direct and unbureaucratic help for people in need.
- Swiss cooperation with eastern Europe: Supporting transition and reform processes in Eastern European countries and helping to reduce disparities in the new EU member states
- Multilateral cooperation: Sustainable solutions thanks to international cooperation with multilateral institutions
- Global challenges: Climate change, food and water crises as well as migration are topics of concern to all mankind in a globalised world
- Development policy: Development policy encompasses all political, economic and social measures to help improve living conditions in developing countries in a sustainable way
- Research and culture: Research plays a fundamental part in reducing poverty and global threats. Art and culture are integral to peacebuilding and sustainable development